
Fall begins pretty early here! We took this pic a week ago on a drive on the "Alpine Loop" that travels the mountains just east of us. You can see some of the fall colors on the mountains, and Sundance ski area is on the distant left. Trees down here in our valley are beginning to change, and although there aren't nearly as many trees as in Virginia...the colors are pretty vibrant so far.
Quick update on the baby: sonogram on Friday confirmed: 100% Boy. Also, he checked in at about 2.5 pounds, at 27 weeks, which is bigger than the average 2 pounds...so Jim's hopes for an NFL all star might be coming true.
Now, for things we've noticed about Utah:
1) Oh My Heck. This expression pops up pretty frequently around here. Used in place of Oh my gosh, etc. Pretty funny.
2) Utahns love RVs. We are convinced that there are more RVs/Winnebagos/Campers per capita in Utah than any other place we've seen. There is at least one RV parked on each block. Really. I've counted 15 just in the four square blocks around our house.
3) Utahns love ice cream. Similar to the RVs...(wonder if there is a correlation??)...there must be more ice cream shops per capita in Utah than anywhere else. Amazingly, there are more ice cream shops than there were Starbucks back in DFW (or any other normal coffee consuming area, I suppose). And they are always full of people, eating ice cream. Pretty impressive.
4) Coffee is not a staple of life. This morning at around 10:30 we stopped at a bakery for breakfast. Jim ordered a cup of coffee and the waitress said, "Hang on, let me see if we made any yet this morning." At a bakery. Amazing. We're assuming that this fact alone will keep Matt from looking at job opportunities at BYU and UVSC. But don't judge too quickly. There is one (1) Starbucks in this valley of 400,000 people.
In other news, we're still working on the house and becoming official residents. Tomorrow we're off to get drivers licenses and become official Utahns ourselves. Take care, and drop us a line!
7 comments:
Hey Jim and Kristen. We are so glad to hear that "Baby Jack" is so healthy. We can't wait to meet him. It sounds like you are all having lots of fun as Utahns. I am sure the weather is much better there too. Of course, we will be back into the 90's for the weekend!
Hope all continues to go well and we'll keep you all in our prayers.
Love,
John, Dana, and Dylan
Hi Jim & Kristen!
I'm enjoying your blog. I especially appreciated the RV thing. We noticed that in Montana, too!!!!!! You know those old style campers....the truck with the camper attached to the bed? We figure out west is where those old campers go to die.
Kristen, you look wonderful. Glad all is going well.
Will you guys please email me with your current email and snail mail addresses.
Keep in touch. Can't wait for Peggy's next g'grandson to arrive!!!!!
Love,
Aunt Sue
i miss you both love the house and pictures of the baby eric
Hi Jim and Kristin, What lovely scenery! It's such fun visiting all these places and not spending a dime!!!!
RE: Ice cream and coffee (or lack thereof) I worked for Mormons for 7 yrs and ice cream is their substitute for caffeine. I'd like that too if it didn't pack on the pounds! Oh well, I'll keep the coffee and indulge in the occasional ice cream/hot fudge sundae.
Your home is beautiful. I recognize the dining set. I'm sure my mom is very happy it is serving you well.
Baby Jack (by the way, I love the name Jack Powell--kind of mystery-writerish) sounds like he's doing very well. Keep us posted on g'grandson #7.
Miss you, but love the traveling.
Bob and Virginia
Love the scenery. What a great way to travel and have to spend a dime. I'm sharing your blog and Matt and Jenny's w/grandma P when she comes over. She loved your home and the view from the front yard.
Baby Jack (Jack Powell has a mystery-writer sound to it)--hope it's in the running. Anyway, I'm glad to hear he and you are all doing well.
Your home is lovely and I know my mom is happy to see her dining room set getting some good use and traveling throughout the country. What you've done to make your house a home is so appealing. Krisin and Kathy did a great job - as did you, Jim, with the lifting and unpacking :>)
Stay well and keep those pictures coming.
Love you,
Aunt Virginia and Uncle Bob
Sorry for the duplicate entry-still getting used to "blogging."
Will be more patient next time. Didn't realize that the approval would take so long, so I thought it didn't register.
Call me bloggless....
Elias was very active inside me and is very active now. His arms and legs are always going a mile a minute when he is laying down and he loves standing up. Good luck with your little one. I can't wait to meet him!
Post a Comment