
So today was Saturday and Jim was up at work helping to move furniture from the old office space to the new office space. The boys and I decided to catch a few garage sales on our way to run a few errands. We never do garage sales (Jim would NEVER go with, and who wants to navigate through a yard sale with two tiny tots in tow?) We didn't even leave the house until after 10, which is way too late to get the really great deals, so I wasn't expecting much. But, we tried a few, struck out, and decided to follow the signs to one more. Jack was excited, as this was his first garage sale in a long time...and sure enough, as we walked across the street and into the driveway, we both saw it:
The Dallas Cowboys football helmet sized appropriately for one super excited 3 year old boy.
Now, just the helmet would have been enough. Jack doles out pretend helmets to everyone in our family every time we play sports outside, so to actually have a REAL helmet was THRILLING. But there were pants, exactly jack's size, and upon further investigation into the dress up box...real shoulder pads. And really, any team would have been cool, but Dallas? Kristen's from Fort Worth, and she and Jim lived in Coppell for four years, long enough for Jim to be a Dallas fan.
The find of the century, and for the unbelievable garage sale price of: (drumroll please) Fifty Cents.
After studying investments in college and having a few of my own, and even knowing people who have done really well for themselves, I will have to say, that this is probably the best Return on Investment I will ever experience in my life. Fifty Cents converted into total, complete joy.
Here's a picture of Jack after we left the garage sale, and he asked if he could wear the helmet while in his car seat:

Needless to say, the new football uniform stayed on the rest of the day. Jack played football in the backyard in every spare moment and wore his uniform proudly everywhere we went. After dinner he ran around with a full sized football, insisting that Jim and I repeat our most enthusiastic "Give me a J (J), Give me an A (A)...Goooooo Jack!!" cheer over and over. He even stopped the game to distribute pretend snacks and soda to us so that we could be true football spectators.
Before bed Jack carefully placed his shoulder pads AND pants on one bedside bookshelf and his helmet and football on the other because he "really, really wanted to sleep with his football things".
I can't help but think that God knew, even arranged, the circumstances that would bring us face to face with this little football outfit. That it gave Him great pleasure to bestow this little gift, of insignificant value, but of GREAT WORTH to Jack, upon us. I can't quite capture how much joy it brings me to see Jack enjoying himself so much, and I know the Lord cares even more deeply for my child than I do.
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights...James 1:17
Tonight we are thankful for the small things of great worth!
1 comment:
So a-w-e-s-o-m-e awesome awesome, totally!
Post a Comment